What is this?

What is a thing on its own anyway? This is a thing on its own:

Throughout the last half a year, I have been working hard on my dissertation. Of course there is downtime, procrastination and so on. I did my best to put it to good use. So I have worked on several small- and medium-sized projects, that all have to do with procedural generation, evolutional AI, or gameplay centered around randomness. Of course, I am no expert, and that really is the best bit. I love the exploration, the strange glitches, the learning experiences, and working on a project for a month before you realise "Oh, this is not fun." Perhaps not the last part.
Some of these projects are visually interesting, and I'll be sure to show off a lot of pictures. Some of these projects deal more in gameplay, and, er, I'll try to keep things short and succint. No promises.
All the programs have been built from the ground up using Game Maker Studio 2. Yes, that's right, I've placed every 1 and 0 of all the projects, one by one. I still wake up in a cold sweat, having nightmares of people telling me, "your implementation of Perlin noise is unconventional and inferior."
For all the exciting experiments, do check out some of the other posts.
So what is a thing on its own? It really escapes words. Sometimes it's an experience. Sometimes it is a tiny piece of art. But most often, it is just a thing on its own, neither more nor less.

- 1st of August, 2018

------------------------------------------------------------

It has now been almost five months since the blog went online. There have been 83 posts and 30000 page views since then. The blog has gone from a post a day to now trying out just two posts a week. No part of my life is the same as when I began. I still do not know quite where I am going.
Honestly, the description above works out quite well to this day - only that most of the content these days is newly created. You might be able to catch half of it over on my OpenProcessing page. However, the blog here is still the best way to find my content. If you want a guide on what to read, do check out the democratically-voted cream of the crop. Finally, you can use the following labels to find whatever your special interest may be:

  • Art - Abstract generation with aesthetics in focus
  • Country Maps - Maps of countries and political regions
  • Linguistics - Language and text generation
  • Neural Nets - Evolution of behaviour
  • Other - Miscellaneous projects, big and small
  • PokeHearth - A collectible card game based on Pokémon inspired by Hearthstone
  • Structures - Generation of buildings, cities, dungeons
  • Terrain - Maps of terrain, heightmaps and their coloration
  • Blog Update
- 19th of December, 2018

Comments