Cozy Kingdoms Preview

This week, I will use Filler Wednesday to do a preview of my current procgen procject.


This is just a small warm-up post for the proper full post, when the project is a bit closer to being done. I'll do an animation like I did for Island Generation, go through each step of the generation process, all the good stuff.



Speaking of the Island Generator, this project was built from the experience I garnered while working on that project. In a way, the approach is the same, just better at each and every step. It uses the same node-and-graph approach, though here, I unfortunately only have a single biome to play around with.

Still, I have layered so many different things together (height, terrain, objects, paths) that I get quite a lot of bugs, like with the double bridges below. Procgen is difficult. That's why I still am not using sand for neither desert or beach.


Instead of biomes, the nodes are used to generate towns that are placed at logical areas around the map. I went a bit further with the whole village-idea, actually. Just look at the above kingdom of Janville, now with political borders below:


This is how the node and graph setup looks. What a difference the tileset makes!


The tileset, like with Dungeon Generator, was purchased from Pita at itch.io. It's pretty nice, though sort of difficult to make work with autotiling since there are so many layers (height, terrain, objects) to combine. Or maybe I'm just not clever enough.

Stay tuned for more on this!

Comments